Connecting your TV Server or HD Encoder to Microsoft Stream
Microsoft Stream accepts feeds for Stream Live Events from Encoded Media hardware appliances. Follow the below instructions to begin broadcasting via the Microsoft platform.
Setting up your Microsoft Stream Live Event
- Open the dashboard of your Microsoft Stream account and choose Live event from the Create menu. Note that your Stream plan must include the creation of live events, and your Stream user needs to be a designated Stream Admin.
- Next, in the Event setup panel on the right side of the page, provide a Name and Description for your Live Event. Should you wish, you can also provide a thumbnail, language and other properties.
- Unless you wish to elect a specific time for the broadcast to begin, choose the As soon as encoder is connected option in the Start event drop-down box then click Publish event at the bottom. This will reveal the Server ingest URL over on the left side of the page:
- Tap the Start setup button. The event will then configure itself for broadcast, and we can move to setting up the source. Keep the Microsoft Stream browser window open, as we'll need to refer back to it shortly when creating a new channel on the appliance.
Setting up your Encoded Media appliance
- On your TV Server or HD Encoder, select Status in the web administration pages and then select the All channels tab as illustrated below. Right-click the channel link in the URL column that you wish to use as the source for your Stream Live Event, and then click Copy link address:
- Now select the Channels page from the left side navigation and tap the Add new channel button in the top menu:
- Provide a Name for the new channel and then change its Type to Transcode:
URL column for the same channel, you will need to paste the below transcode format string
modified for your Stream Live Event:
-i "<YOUR LOCAL CHANNEL URL>" -v verbose -strict -2 -c:a aac -b:a 128k -ar 44100 -r 30 -g 60 -keyint_min 60 -b:v 400000 -c:v libx264 -preset medium -bufsize 400k -maxrate 400k -f flv "<YOUR STREAM INGEST URL>/mystream"
<YOUR LOCAL CHANNEL URL> is the link address you copied from the Status page in the previous step.
<YOUR STREAM URL> is the Server ingest URL from the Microsoft Stream web interface that you should still have open.
With the above in mind, your modified transcode format string might look as follows:
-i "rtsp://192.168.9.239/live/AUX1" -v verbose -strict -2 -c:a aac -b:a 128k -ar 44100 -r 30 -g 60 -keyint_min 60 -b:v 400000 -c:v libx264 -preset medium -bufsize 400k -maxrate 400k -f flv "rtmp://fr5c7drhe7g44ghosnb-uohjowr5e4c5qghhncb-uks2.channel.media.azure.net:1935/live/d2e5c90254c99eee1219c22ba/mystream"
And when pasted into the URL column:
- You should now see the Microsoft Stream web page show a preview of your Encoded Media appliance broadcast, with ready to go live:
- Tap Start event to begin broadcasting your Microsoft Stream Live event.